Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Combating Defensiveness

Last night was somehow a heartbreakingaching night. It just seemed we did not see eye-to-eye. I was dismissive, he was agit and exasperated. Night was capped in tears but with goodnights, sorrys and I love yous. 

I woke up today remembering a daily devotional book that has not been touched for quite some time. Mabasa nga. And yes, the reading for the day was apt with the circumstances. Hay, Lord, kakaloka ka tumiming. Here is the summarized version of it.



AUGUST 29: COMBATING DEFENSIVENESS


Judge Less, Understand More

Defensiveness stops the flow of communication in a relationship. Defensiveness indicates that your self-esteem has been attacked. The person who made a cutting comment is not the enemy. Rather, the message he/she spoke is. Focus on the right enemy and you can turn your negative feelings into positive actions.

Lord God, when I feel defensive, please help me to consider the message objectively. If it is true, let me be willing to take steps to make a positive change. If it is not true, help me not to respond angrily but to trust that you will give me the right words to say. Thank you, Lord. Amen.

From Gary Chapman's The One Year Love Language Minute Devotional



And yes, despite the occasional defensiveness, I still love you with all my heart.


Photo was taken from http://rosiemolinary.com/.

No comments: